[mythtv-users] DVB-S: EIT scanner running all the time

Sean mythtv at bigswifty.co.uk
Fri May 28 12:44:13 UTC 2010

> ------------------------------
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 11:25:46 +0200
> From: Eduard Huguet <eduardhc at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] DVB-S: EIT scanner running all the time
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> Hi,
> EIT scan runs all the time while the backend is idle. The timeout you
> mention just controls when it starts, after the corresponding encoder
> is left idle. But, AFAIK, there is no way to stop EIT scanning once is
> has started, as long as  the tuner is not requested for anything else.
>
> Anyway, what's the problem with the tuner scanning EIT constantly.
> It's not is going to burn it or anything... :D
>
> Cheers,
>   Eduard
> ------------------------------

Hi All,

I needed to disable 'Active EIT scanning' on my dual dvb-t USB tuner as with it
enabled it seemed to be the cause of the tuners becoming unusable after short
periods of time.

Tuning to a channel would indicate a good signal strength but report 'No lock'
resulting in blank recordings and no way to use the tuner short of a cold
restart of the backend box.

Tuner is a Kworld USB Dual DVB-T (399U i think) and although working perfectly
initially one or both tuners would report 'No lock' after only a couple of hours
of uptime, sometimes much sooner.

After lurking on this fine list and following various suggestions offered by
others the 'Disable Active EIT scanning' suggestion proved good and has allowed
the tuners to remain stable and usable since.

	-Sean

ps>
1st post to list,

Many thanks to Mr Richards and ALL the devs for MythTV and all the work that
they have put into it - a remarkable piece of work so many thanks once again.