[mythtv-users] OT: Why 3D TV won't work.

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri May 28 12:31:30 UTC 2010

> One problem with 3D TV will stop it ever taking off.
> It's the glasses.
<snipped out a whole bunch of reasones why the glasses are a problem>

I don't see the glasses as being such an insurmountable obstacle like
you make them out to be. You realize 3D TV doesn't HAVE to be watched
in 3D, right? You can simply turn off 3D mode, and the TV will instead
display every other frame (for twice as long) giving you a single
viewpoint image exactly like regular TV. So you buy enough glasses for
your family, and maybe a few extras, and on the rare occasion when you
get a bunch more people, you just revert back to regular TV. Or, if
it's a planned event, ask people to bring their own glasses.

As far as losing the glasses in the couch like a remote? Not likely to
happen (at least not in my household). You are looking at 2 entirely
different things. A remote is something you tend to want to keep close
so you can use it on demand. However, you aren't always using it, so
that means you tend to set it down while you are sitting, then it
slides a bit, you forget about it and get up to get a drink, and
before you know it, you haven't realized it has disappeared. On the
other hand, I can tell you that I have NEVER lost a video game
controller in the couch in my entire life. The reason being that you
are actively using it the entire time. You pick it up, use it, and
when you are done, you put it back in the designated spot. Glasses are
the same type of thing. When you go to watch TV you will put them on,
leave them on for a while, and then when you are done you can take
them off and put them in their spot.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not a 3D supporter, and I don't think it's
any more likely to succeed long term this time than it was in the
past. However, if it fails, it will NOT be because of the logistics of
supplying enough glasses and remembering where they are.

--
Ron