[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri May 28 09:07:08 UTC 2010

On 28 May 2010, at 00:00, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> Andre wrote:
>> Alternatively and much more simply are you using studio levels (vdpaustudio) out from MythTV? If not there is a scaling of the display output 16-235 scaled to 0-255, this introduces some small artefacts that a plasma display will accentuate.
>
> Now I have MythTv driving the TV, I'm getting results much darker than
> any other source - all the others being much the same. I.e., dark areas
> are darker. First thought when I saw this was that it might be
> the 16-235 to 0-255 scaling, so I put vdpaustudio in the filter box.
> It made no visible difference. Any other ideas? It would be really nice
> if all my sources were the same, so I can just calibrate once.

You should be able to see the difference vdpaustudio makes, I think we established that you have a critical eye ;-)

Have a look for the full/video setting in the TV, the counterpart to vdpau studio also superwhite, worth checking RGB/YCrCb settings as you have already seen the green & magenta look that feeding RGB into YCrCb gives. Also you can have different settings per input so I'd swap the inputs around and determine if MythTV is really darker or just connected to a differently setup input. Bizarrely the only mode I could find all the settings exposed in with that TV was Game mode, which gave me the best results driven from a computer when correctly adjusted.

Really you need to calibrate from inside MythTV as well as DVD/Bluray, I'd start with Bluray to get a feel for it then go to Myth with a rip of the setup DVD or BBC HD Testcard, there are some free patterns you can download from AVForums too.

Would be really really nice if VDPAU could be configured to output YCrCb instead of RGB but I don't know if it's capable or even if HDMI can use that colour space in computer display mode.