[mythtv-users] OT: cooling M350 case (was: What's the frontend of choice these days?)

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu May 27 22:15:40 UTC 2010

Hi

> I'm using them for OTA HD viewing 90% of the time.  I've never had any
> luck with running them with VDPAU.  Always gets stutter or
> pix-elation.  Interesting to note my ripped DVD's work fine with VDPAU
> enabled.

Do you use USB tuner cards?  Is the tuner perfect without a single
imperfection in the stream?

I have a problem USB tuner and reverted to a PCI one temporarily.  What
I noticed is that VDPAU massively exagerates the effect of any glitches
in the stream.  Playing the same thing back with a software decoder and
I see perhaps a square of breakup, with VDPAU I see half the screen tear
and glitch.

Possibly the root cause for you is the tuner and not the decoder?

Note in my case I haven't tracked down the issue with my usb stick.
femon is showing zero errors in the DVB frontend, mplayer is playing
back the recorded stream very nicely, but mythtv is showing regular
(every few secs) glitches.  Seems like a USB issue because the PCI card
is perfect.  However, it may be a partial interaction with mythtv
because mplayer is fine?

Good luck

Ed W