[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Alasdair Macdonald wewalkforonereason at googlemail.com
Thu May 27 08:41:57 UTC 2010

On 27 May 2010 09:11, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Alasdair Macdonald wrote:
>>
>> On 11 May 2010 13:28, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I want the Plasma, don't I? Tell me I want the Plasma... go on...
>>> go on! :-)
>>
>> Well, the topic came up at the perfect time for me; I've been
>> following it for the past several days, took advice that was offered
>> earlier in the discussion, and have placed my online order (Panasonic
>> TX-P50G20B) just a few minutes ago.
>
> Are you seeing a lot of posterization from yours in darker images,
> especially on walls and faces? At first I thought it was just the
> TV being larger than I was used to showing up poor sources, but
> I'm seeing it in all sources. Also, if I pause and adjust the
> brightness, the colour bands move, which also indicates that it's
> the TV not the source. It's bad enough that I'm considering
> returning it. Although maybe this is a problem with all modern
> TVs.

I think the answer is No. I haven't yet seen any issues that I would
identify as being specific to this model. That is to say where I am
seeing weaknesses in the picture, they are the same weaknesses that
were observable on my old CRT, and are inherent to compressed digital
video. (And I think that the main issue is the same as what you are
describing, but I don't often notice it these days except when I
search for it. My main video source is higher bitrate UK DVB-S
broadcasts, undoubtedly more and more artefacts creep in with lower
bitrate broadcasts).