[mythtv-users] OT: Why 3D TV won't work.

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Thu May 27 06:08:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Scott Colbeck <scolbeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> snip
>
>> I don't see why there would be some fundamental differences between
>> looking at a real environment, and looking at a 3D TV
>>
>> it's all perception...
>
> This article from a developer that worked on Sega 3D technology in the
> 90's explains why people have issues viewing 3D content.  I know I had
> a headache the first 5 min of watching Avatar in 3D.  Essentially the
> brain is partially tricked into thinking the content is 3D.
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2813511.htm

One problem with 3D TV will stop it ever taking off.
It's the glasses.

How much will they cost? $10 a pop? $20? Will you shell out for 20
pairs so you can hold a big BBQ and everyone can watch 3D footy?
I guarantee at least one idiot will wear the glasses all through the
house and in the backyard. What a tool.
Or what if you don't have enough pairs for everyone? Someone has to
watch a blurry footy game, or you go 2D and you wasted your money.
Maybe my glasses are compatible with your TV so I can bring them over?
More likely not.

What about when you go to watch Avatar 3D on blu-ray for the 12th time
but you can't find your favourite glasses because they're down the
couch? It's worst than losing the remove because if that happens you
can push the buttons on the telly :)

What if you're in the kitchen, nipping into the lounge every so often
to catch a few minutes of 3D masterchef? Do you leave the glasses on
in the (brightly lit) kitchen, unknowingly looking like a 70s nerd,
then realise you can't see because they got fogged up by the steam
from your rice cooker?

Nope. 3D won't sell TVs until they do away with the glasses. Don't ask
me how they'll do that - maybe they won't!