[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue May 25 00:08:16 UTC 2010

On 05/24/2010 06:48 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I was wondering over the weekend whether there would be any problem
> with using MythTV simply as a scheduler/controller vs a DVR?

[deleted]

> Are others doing this already?

I've not heard of anyone doing this, and I don't think (but don't know
for sure) that you could configure MythTV to do this.  If you setup a
dummy tuner somehow (again, not sure if this is even possible) MythTV
would get suspicious when there was no file being deposited into the
recording directory, and I'm guessing it would break all kinds of things.

> How does one discover the command set to control the DVR? Is that an
> lirc task - run some program and capture key codes or something?

The Mythtv Wiki has a page, with a link to a DirecTV installers guide:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial

On the above page, do a find on "installers guide".  That guide have
everything you want to know, with regards to the command set to control
a DirecTV set-top box.