[mythtv-users] Maybe a slightly different usage model for Myth with DirecTV encrypted HD?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue May 25 00:05:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There would be value (to me) in just using Myth to start and stop the
>>> DTV DVR and still let it do the recording. As the recordings are
>>> encrypted HD Myth cannot do much with the data anyway (AFAIK) so I see
>>> no major value in Myth storing the video vs leaving on the DVR.
>>
>> Why don't you want to use an HD-PVR?  You can record to your heart's
>> content using the component output and have HD recordings, even for
>> the encrypted channels.  Seems a lot simpler than what you are tying
>> to do.
>
> One component out vs two internal recordings.
>
> And the DVR is free - the HD-PVR is very expensive.
>
> And I believe the (very few) 1080p programs I can get are only
> available over HDMI so the component out wouldn't work.
>
> At least that's my thinking. I'm not negative on your question. It's a
> good one. But why should I buy more hardware and spend money one
> electricity every month when their hardware works and only the
> software has problems?
>
> Just my thoughts. Thanks for the question.

Yes you'd need two stb's and two hdpvrs to capture two shows at once,
but you would get decent scheduling.

Your suggestion to get myth to completely operate your DVR seems
fraught with a few problems to me. I don't know what the UI is on the
DVR, but how do you choose what to record? Seems to me you are likely
to go through a few menus and make choices based on what you see. EG
to record 'Lost' is a different sequence of keypresses to recording
'The Daily Show' - quite how you would ensure that your IR blaster got
to the correct place in the menus is hard to imagine. I guess the
problem is that the myth system has no feedback to tell it "ok you
have 'Lost' highlighted in the EPG, now press the record button."