[mythtv-users] IRK! Infrared Remote controlled USB keyboard project

Andrew Armstrong androidarmstrong at gmail.com
Mon May 24 07:23:28 UTC 2010

Andrew,

I used a 2x16 LCD because I'd already harvested it from some old equipment.
Also, the 2x16 units are cheap on eBay (around $10 AUD). I also want it to
fit in a standard 5.25" drive bay so I have to keep the size down. I'm
having trouble finding a "blank" 5.25" drive box actually - might have to
make one.

The MikroC API for LCD allows for writing to multiline LCDs so it shouldn't
be hard to do. It can also talk to graphic LCDs if you want. You will need
the MikroC compiler though...

www.mikroe.com

...which is at least at a hobbyist price point. Also, I highly recommend a
USB logic analyser like "Logic"...

www.saleae.com

...for checking IR signals are ok. I'm pretty sure that if your learning
remote just records modulation on/off times then IRK! will work fine.

As for displaying messages I think that may need some sort of
operating-system dependent driver software. I want to keep IRK! OS-agnostic
so it just works when you plug it in - and I'm never going to be sitting
close enough to the LCD to worry about what it displays anyway!

Cheers,
Andrew.