[mythtv-users] mythconverg_restore.pl problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 23 21:03:22 UTC 2010

On 05/23/2010 04:46 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On May 23, 2010 02:53:59 pm Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 05/23/2010 02:24 PM, Mike McMullin wrote:
>>
>>>     I'm trying to migrate from oS11.1 (0.21) to Ubuntu 10.04(0.23), I
>>> have made a backup of the database and gone into Ubuntu , setup the
>>> initial database, and then dropped it in mysql.  When I try and run the
>>> mythconverg_resote.pl script I get the following error:
>>>
>> ..
>>
>>> Unable to connect to database.

>>> Please check your configuration files to verify the database connection
>>> information is correct.  The files that are used to retrieve connection
>>> information are prefixed with "parsing" in the "Parsing configuration
>>> files"
>>> section of the --verbose output.
>>>
>>> Also note that any [client] or [mysql] password specified in the MySQL
>>> options
>>> file (/etc/my.cnf or /etc/mysql/my.cnf or ~/.my.cnf) will take precedence
>>> over
>>> the password specified in the MythTV configuration files.
>>>
>> When you created the initial database using mc.sql, it set the password
>> for mythtv at localhost to mythtv.
>>
>> So, if you try:
>>
>> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg
>>
>> and then type in the (proper) password (which I've removed from the
>> output above), it won't connect.
>>
>     That was only a test password, I had no intention of using it for the
> installed system.

Good.  I've decided, though, to put a nice warning in the output so
people are more likely to notice it.

>> If you try:
>>
>> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg
>>
>> and then type in the password "mythtv", it will likely connect.
>>
>    Exactly so.  BTW, what is the mythtv_0.23.0.sql file for?
> mc.sql sizes at 320 but that file sizes at 164534.

That's a DB backup--likely created by some distro script.  Or it may be
some "blank" DB that they've customized with certain values to make
initial setup work better with their tools.

Mike