[mythtv-users] "low cost" iPad / Mythremote (MythDroid)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 23 20:38:57 UTC 2010

On Sunday 23 May 2010 02:25:02 pm Francesco Peeters wrote:
> On 5/23/10 18:15 , Richard Morton wrote:
> > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2GHz-CPU-WLAN-7-HD-LCD-Google-Android-Tablet-PC-A
> >PAD-/260607703128?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item3cad6df
> >858#ht_6339wt_1286
>
> Thanks a lot! You cost me an entire afternoon investigating these damn
> things...   ;-)
>
> But seriously: drawbacks as far as I can tell is they seem to be stuck
> at Android v.1.5 and battery life has been reported from as low as 2
> hours to as high as 6 hours...

That wide a range of battery life is also true with the dedicated E-Book
readers. The Nook can expect about 2 or 3 hours if the WiFi radio is on all
the time, up to 10 hours if it is left off.

So I suspect the battery life depends on how often the radio is used, which
would make sense. Not sure how much power the cellular-type radios consume.

> Aside from that they look like great little devices...

I resisted the temptation to order one immediately, because I decided that
more and better options will probably be available in the short term (well
under a year).

My experience with the no-name Asian knockoffs (like the Alpha-400) is that
once released, not much happens as far as upgrades to the original software.
Not that this is entirely bad, just something to be aware of. Support is
expensive to provide, and continual upgrades make it even more so.