[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat May 22 13:13:34 UTC 2010

On Friday 21 May 2010 08:31:43 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 22 May 2010 06:35, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > An Android tablet computer is in fact available, with an ARM CPU, but I
> > don't think it would be very useful for Myth.
> >
> > It's called a "Nook", and once rooted it's a fairly decent Android
> > platform, but the B+W display is not too useful for video, and the color
> > touch screen is pretty small. Some folks have been running the Pandora
> > browser, which seems better than the one B&N included in the 1.3 release.
>
> It's not just a B&W display, it's electronic ink ... The refresh rates
> is way too law to display any kind of animated content

"Not too useful for video" meant "not useful at all", though the E-Ink is
interesting, I don't think it draws any power at all except when changing.

> > The Nook seems to have a very active hacker community. Most of the
> > hacking on the Kindle seems to be about cracking the DRM, and I have no
> > desire to steal books.
>
> hum... I disagree...
> I wrote the packager for the Kindle that allows to write 3rd party
> packages and install them on the kindle bypassing all security keys.
> So I've seen what is being done on the Kindle a fair bit.
>
> There's quite a large amount of technical stuff available, including a Qt
>  port ! And Amazon has now opened their SDK too

I'm glad to hear that. I looked into hacking efforts long ago and found mostly
DRM cracking attempts.

I've since realized that most of these attempts were not so much to "steal"
content but simply to be able to use paid-for content in the manner you wish
to - something that should strike a chord with most Myth users.

> > At least the Kindle now somewhat supports PDF files, in the past you had
> > to send your PDF to Amazon and have them convert the file to something
> > the Kindle understood, and pay for the privilege. Nook deals with PDFs
> > very well, as long as the required fonts are embedded in the file (most
> > seem to be).
>
> You can still do that..
> This service is free... You only pay a (small) fee when the data is
> sent wirelessly to your device. Provided you don't pay for 3G mobile
> connectivity, I think it's a fairly small price to pay.
> If you use their email service, it's entirely free

I shouldn't need a "service" of any sort to display PDFs properly. Given the
recent foolishness with North Carolina I would be suspicious this is just some
additional way to monitor what I am reading. Not that I can blame Amazon for
this craziness, they are fighting as hard as they can.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20002870-38.html

> > I still say the iPad sounds like some sort of feminine hygiene product.
>
> sigh...
> that joke is getting rather old...

Takes a long time for jokes to filter to here in the boondocks.