[mythtv-users] Please wait... slooow startup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 18 14:06:46 UTC 2010

On 05/18/2010 07:24 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
> I posted a couple of weeks ago about this.  One of the developers
> responded to upgrade from .22 to .23
> Haven't done this yet, waiting for a little while.
> Noticed when setting up the firewall on the back end yesterday, the
> back end was doing a reverse dns lookup when front ends connected.
> When I did my last upgrade on the back end I forgot to edit /etc/hosts
> with the network names/IP's
> Makes all the difference in the world.  Brings the "Please wait"
> message down from about 10-15 seconds to about 1-2 seconds.
> Just an FYI.

You're not using hostnames for the values of the "IP address" settings,
are you?  Both the master backend and server "IP address" settings must
be, er, IP addresses.

Using a hostname for either or both of these is an unsupported
configuration and will likely cause far more problems than "slooow startup."