[mythtv-users] Mysql permissions problem

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue May 18 11:00:45 UTC 2010

Peter Abplanalp wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Michael Tiller
> <michael.tiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> mysql> select user, host from user;
>> +------------------+-----------+
>> | user             | host      |
>> +------------------+-----------+
>> | mythtv           | %         |
>> | root             | 127.0.0.1 |
>> | debian-sys-maint | localhost |
>> | mythtv           | localhost |
>> | root             | localhost |
>> +------------------+-----------+
>> 5 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> that looks fine to me.
>
> i went back and looked at your original post and i noticed that you used:
>
>       mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
>
> what i'm used to doing is putting both user and host in quotes or ticks a la:
>
>      mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to "mythtv"@"%" identified by "mythtv";
>
> if you want to try this, i'd erase the current mythtv@% row from the
> user table first.
>
>> Also, I didn't notice this before by MythTV has its own special "include" in
>> the mysql config file that does a "bind-address = 0.0.0.0" which seems to be
>> what I want (I assume that means accept connection on any interface) so that
>> should rule out that issue.
>
> yes, you want to bind to 0.0.0.0.

Note that 0.0.0.0 translates to 0.0.0.0/32, ie a single address. To make sure,
you should specify 0.0.0.0/0 to ensure you cover the whole address space (which
I assume is what you want).

Some software assumes 0.0.0.0 without subnet bits is everything, some doesn't.
Best way is to be explicit.

--

Mike Perkins