[mythtv-users] Pre-amp for Hauppauge 1600

Dave Day david.scott.day at gmail.com
Sun May 16 05:06:20 UTC 2010

On 04/20/2010 08:16 PM, Douglas Peale wrote:

I have mostly solved the problem and thought an update might be useful
to someone.

The bulk of responses to my original post indicated that a preamp should
be postponed until after optimizing the other antenna system components,
so I held off on that.

Instead I tried to learn a little about antennas.  My original antenna
set up was a medium sized combination uhf/vhf antenna on a rotor in the
attic at about 20 feet in height I'd guess.  The UHF portion is a small
corner reflector yagi.  The VHF portion looks to be a log periodic type
of antenna. Most of my transmitters are bunched together east of me
about 25 miles away.  There are NO outside antennas within miles of me,
so if possible, I wanted this to succeed in the attic.  The problem is
we are deep in a forest of very tall pines and hardwoods.  Even if I do
have to go outside the attic, I simply can't get above the trees.

This quote from above sums up my original situation:

I get about 7 local stations but only two of them are always good.
The two good ones are hi-band VHF.  Three others are good about 50% of
the time
and two others usually break up during a program.

I ended up building a single bay Gray-Hoverman (one hour at Home Depot
and 3 hours at the work bench). The particular version I built is
considered a UHF only antenna, so my plan was to first fix my main
problem which was the UHF stations, and then I thought I would build a
yagi for the two vhf ones.
Of course when I finished it I was anxious to get a hint of whether it
would help.  So I went to the attic and just set the SBGH down on the
attic floor under the rotor/antenna and moved the RG-6 coax to the balun
on the Gray-Hoverman.  I pointed the SBGH in the general direction of my
stations and went to check the reception.  It was great!  Apparently all
the stations are pretty comfortably above the threshold where lock
occurs because the pictures on all 7 stations are basically perfect.
And, ironically, the two VHF stations are as good or better than they
were before, even though the SBGH model I built is supposed to only be a
UHF antenna.

Later in the day I switched out the original antenna and attached the
Gray-Hoverman to the rotor.  Rotating the antenna some didn't seem to
have a big effect on my reception, although I didn't go but 25 degrees
in either direction.

So, needless to say, the Family Acceptance Factor has shot WAY up!
Those 7 stations give us about 15 channels of programming and all of
pretty much perfect quality, at least so far (Its only been two days).

But is does lead me to ask two questions.  I am using a Hauppauge 1600
with MythTV.  Myth does not retrieve signal strength from that card.  It
only gives what it calls SNR numbers which are generally between 2.1 and
2.4.  I am left wondering if 2.4 is pretty much the best anybody ever
gets from this card or would it be possible to get above 2.4 and perhaps
give us some extra cushion for those rainy/windy days in the forest when
signal quality varies?

Another interesting little fact is that before this Gray-Hoverman, when
my experience was that an SNR number of 2.1 or less pretty much meant an
unreliable lock and a pretty crappy viewing experience.  2.2 meant a
better lock but some break up and pixellation, 2.3 meant we might get
through the whole program with nor problems or we might not, but the
viewing experience would be OK, and 2.4 meant whoohoo!  studio quality!

But now with the SBGH, I haven't had even the slightest problem even
though the SNR does briefly go down even to 2.1.  The pictures have been
solid even down there.  I don't really understand that.

So, I wonder if any of you all who have Hauppauge 1600s get SNRs above
2.4 ???

And any thoughts on why with the SBGH the signal is good even with what
before were pretty crappy SNR numbers.