[mythtv-users] Comcast in Massachusetts/New Hampshire area recently encrypted channels

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Sat May 15 21:53:56 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of LuKreme
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 2:48 AM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Comcast in Massachusetts/New Hampshire area

On May 14, 2010, at 22:53, "MarcT" <myrdhn at gmail.com> wrote:

> At some point this week Comcast started encrypting just over half of the
QAM channels that were previously in the clear.

Isn't comcast's plan to encrypt ALL the non-broadcast channels?

The point is that, historically, I have been able to record the channels in
question via analog cable.
Due to the mandate to change to digital, Comcast moved these channels to a
digital multiplex but still in the clear. Now the channels I am referring to
do have HD versions, but those have always been on encrypted streams. The SD
versions have been broadcast in the clear since long before I got into myth,
5-6 years ago.
Looking at their channel lineup they changed their starter package. While
all the channels I am mourning used to be in the starter package, they have
now been moved into an extended basic group.

MarcT