[mythtv-users] What replaces irw when using atilibusb for the remote receiver?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sat May 15 13:10:07 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>>> You could try claiming its an imon device, since that's one that I
>>> know pretty well... Figure out what irw reports for each key, then
>>> edit ~/.mythtv/lircrc to alter any of the current settings in there to
>>> better match. I haven't a clue exactly what remote you've got, but
>>> input layer is input layer is input layer, so that same
>>> lircd.conf.devinput works for all devices, its just a matter of
>>> setting up appropriate mappings in ~/.mythtv/lircrc to make it behave
>>> the way you want.
>>>

>> I'm 90% home, but I had a small diversion.  I picked a remote and driver
>> through the Infrared Devices menu and it replaced this:
>>
>> (/etc/sysconfig/lirc)
>> LIRC_DRIVER="devinput"
>> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/by-id/usb-PHILIPS_ATI_Theater_Remote_Receiver-event-kbd"
>>
>> ....with this
>>
>> LIRCD_OPTIONS='-r -H devinput -d /dev/input/event2'
>>
>> When that happened, irw gave me buttons, not codes (press 1,2, 3 and it
>> displays 1,2,3); so that's solved.
>>

> No, now lircd isn't listening to the proper device any more, if you're
> seeing 1 2 3 show up on the console instead of codes, that's the keys
> on the remote coming straight through from the input layer.
>

>> Now most of the buttons give codes in
>> irw, but some do nothing.  I tried playing with /etc/lirc/lircd.conf but it
>> must not be the right file to edit...nothing I did had any effect.  I would
>> like to experiment with the codes, do you know which file I need to edit?
>>

> Change /etc/sysconfig/lirc back. Every key should then report
> something in irw when pressed. Map the key names irw reports to
> functions in ~/.mythtv/lircrc.

Right, I wasn't very clear on the last post...I did switch it back and
it did fix it  :).  But irw still gives no messages for certain
buttons.  When I pressed buttons 1, 2, 3, menu, 4...it looks like this:

[mythtv at nick ~]$ irw
0000000080010002 00 KEY_1 devinput32
0000000080010003 00 KEY_2 devinput32
0000000080010004 00 KEY_3 devinput32
0000000080010005 00 KEY_4 devinput32

Between KEY_3 and KEY_4 there should be something...but it just didn't
respond.  I assume there is not a corresponding code for whatever
ir-flickering the menu button is doing (I checked it, the menu button
does flicker).

There is a menu button defined in /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
(KEY_MENU                139), but maybe it's not the same as mine.  I
was going to experiment with lircd.conf and try to guess the right
code.  Misguided???