[mythtv-users] Getting a correct lineup for DishNetwork

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Sat May 15 03:05:18 UTC 2010

On 5/14/2010 2:03 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/14/2010 04:53 PM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Mike for your replies..  OK I guess this is going to have to
>> be done in small baby steps it seems... I think I figured out the
>> correct lineup to use at SchedulesDirect, they kinda mislabeled it
>> changing the name from DishNetwork to just Dish which is confusing.
>> But the channels do appear to be close to what I actually get and
>> include the locals.  So I again went through mythtvsetup and
>> retrieved the linup and refetched the channels from the listing
>> source. I also went into the Channel Editor and told it to download
>> the icons, which it did a fair job of doing. After exiting
>> mythtvsetup I reran mythfilldatabase. Up to this point everything
>> seems to have worked ok....
>>
>> Upon restarting mythfrontend, I selected Watch TV, brought up the
>> onscreen menu and selected Program Guide. And hit another hiccup! It
>> took quite a few seconds before the Program Guide would even display,
>> and the responses to keyboard input is extremely slow! Anywhere from
>> 5 to 30 seconds it seems most of the time, with occasional responses
>> as long as 2 or 3 minutes! Also I am now seeing the channels for my
>> local stations, but "Unknown (Unknown)" is shown for all the local
>> program listings. And none of the icons are showing up as I would
>> have expected. (Note: responsiveness outside of the Program Guide
>> seems to be fine, from what limited testing I have done so far...)
>>
>> Rebooting, restarting the mythbackend, and mythfrontend does not fix
>> this problem.  Anyone got any idea as to what is wrong? I looked at
>> top and cannot see any process chewing up the processor usage either.
>
> At this point, your previous configuration of the system with the
> wrong lineup left some garbage which is causing problems.
>
> You should do the video sources portion of
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 to
> clean up all the garbage and then when you reconfigure (with the
> knowledge you've gained in the "practice runs" :), all will work fine.
>
> Make sure you use the approach specified there.  Other approaches to
> delete old stuff will leave garbage (that will likely break things).
>
> The slow response may be due to an overloaded processor (since using
> HD-PVR can result in very hard-to-decode video), but see what
> reconfiguring as above does, before worrying about that.
>
> Mike
Thanks again Mike, we made another small baby step! I deleted all the
video sources and recreated mine, as well as the source connections
etc., as you suggested. I now have the names of the programs showing up
in the program guide for the local channels! But the responsiveness
remains sluggish when I enter the Program Guide and use the up/down
arrows to step from one channel to another.

Also the icons are not showing up yet, even though they did in the
Channel Editor in mythtvsetup. (I did not however download all the icons
for ALL the stations, but just escaped out when I saw it trying to find
icons for TV stations in places like Arabia! I figured it had found most
of the icons I was interested in, from looking at the table...

I can see I probably will be asking quite a few more questions as time
goes on, some of the menus drive awkwardly for me (like trying to find a
particular program to record) and some labels and messages are not
entirely readable with lines being truncated. (I have set the font sizes
rather large so I can read things on the screen from across my living
room, for example)...

Anywise how do I get the icons to show up and improve the sluggish
response of the Program Guide?
(BTW the Hauppauge 350 PVR card I am using is an old one designed only
for NTSC signals, not HD signals. My DishNetwork satellite settop box is
doing the conversion from HD to NTSC, not the Hauppauge card. The
Hauppauge card can do hardware MPEG encoding also. My system is designed
so that I can send, from the DishNetwork settop box, the HD signal
directly to my monitor for live watching, and the NTSC signal to the
Hauppauge card for recording/watching - via MythTV. So I don't think
that the Hauppauge card can be the  source of the  sluggishness of the
Program Guide. And other menus I have so far explored seem to have good
responsiveness..)

Also, is there a way to have the Program Guide show more than just half
hour segments? It would be nice to be able to see 2 or 3 hours ahead
without having to right click for each half hour segment...

   Marc..