[mythtv-users] what resolution is mythui with a PCI VDPAU video card?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat May 15 02:07:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 20:27 -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> You missed a couple steps there.  That's at 60fps, and three colors per
> pixel at one byte each.

Indeed.  I knew I was missing something, but just couldn't put my finger
on it.  Obvious in hindsight.

> but youre still talking about ~190MB/s, on a bus that can
> only theoretically hit 133MB/s.

Indeed.

> Now the UI is not going to be full motion video, so it won't need
> anything like that kind of bandwidth,

But the UI is still 1920x1080x24x60 (perhaps /2) isn't it?  There's no
bandwidth savings for still images are there?  Isn't every pixel of that
1920x1080x12 sent 60 times a second regardless of whether it's changed
or not?

> but you still need enough
> bandwidth to send whatever your video content is unscaled (Xv does
> scaling on the video card).

Well, for video, I send MPEG2 and VDPAU does the work.

But what I really want is the UI at 1920x1080 also, for the crispness of
it.  But if I can't drive that over PCI, maybe the VDPAU makes it still
worthwhile.

b.