[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun like device for analog?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 14 12:56:46 UTC 2010

On Friday 14 May 2010 06:42:10 am James Pifer wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 08:33 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > > A few follow up questions. I found a refurbished dual port HDHomeRun
> > > for $99, which seems like a decent deal. If I add an HDHomeRun to my
> > > existing system that has 3 PCI tuners for recording analog, would I add
> > > another channel lineup for the digital channels available on the
> > > HDHomeRun?
> >
> > I have two sets of lineups from SD. 1 for digital one for analog.
> > There are 8 to 10 unencrypted channels on my comcast cable.
> >
> > >Will I still be able to go through the normal process, either
> > > on the frontend or mythweb for setting up recording schedules?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > > Also, for a recording done from the HDHomeRun, will all of my standard
> > > frontends be able to play the video, or will it need to be transcoded
> > > first?
> >
> > Depends on your hardware. If you do not have vdpau and have really low
> > end systems you may have problems.
>
> I don't really know anything about vdpau. My frontends are 1.7 Ghz
> Pentiums or 2 Ghz Celerons. Would I be able to achieve vdpau on a
> frontend just by updating to a newer video card with vdpau?

Yes.

The potential problem is that older machines often have AGP slots for graphics
cards, and no VDPAU-capable cards are available with an AGP interface (if I'm
wrong, I'd love to know about it).

You can get standard PCI video cards that will do VDPAU, and of course PCI-
Express, but not AGP.

A complete VDPAU-capable frontend can be had for $200 (the Acer Revo 1600),
not much more than we used to spend on a high-end video card.