[mythtv-users] NVidia driver giving me grief

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu May 13 21:14:15 UTC 2010

On 05/13/2010 06:51 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 13 May 2010 17:43, Colin Haubrich<colin.haubrich at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> New to the list and new to MythTV
>>
>> Here's what I'm running on my backend, front end is PS3:
>>
>> Dual P4 3.4 Ghz, 4GB RAM
>> Nvidia NVS 280 64MB Ram (I know a little on the low end for HD but am
>> considering an upgrade if I can get everything working again)
>> Redhat FC 12:    2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64
>> Hauppauge HVR-2250
>>
>> I updated my Nvidia driver to 173.14.25 straight from Nvidia (latest
>> supported by my Video card) and since then Mythbackend won't run. (It was
>> originally installed from Yum and was working. 720p looked good 1080p was
>> choppy)
>>
>> So I thought I'd try compiling MythTV from scratch, well that went as far as
>> to say I didn't have the libraries despite me installing them from yum. I
>> did a yum install of the following:
>>

> remove libvdpau-devel and run configure again..
>
> You don't need to compile mythtv with vdpau support, your hardware
> doesn't support it

As I just posted! Something wrong with the setup! Of course. (Sound of
palm slapping forehead).

Jean-Yves is correct. Colin, you need to turn off vdpau in configure and
turn on xvmc. The driver does not support vdpau on your hardware but it
does support xvmc. You can delete all the vdpau installs. More on xvmc
on the wiki...

Geoff