[mythtv-users] Problems with vdpau decoding HD content

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Thu May 13 13:59:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Scott Russell
<list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc> wrote:

> On May 13, 2010, at 1:14 AM, Scott wrote:
>
>> This is a general query to help me with my troubleshooting of a playback problem on my FE.
>>
>> I have an ASRock 330 ION loaded with Mythbuntu 10.04 and the 0.23-fixes SVN 24572. The system uses the VDPAU Normal profile and is configured for 512MB of GPU RAM in BIOS.
>>
>> Playback with both recorded 720p and 1080i (OTA ATSC from a HDHR) shows seems to run into a glitch. The show starts off fine and pausing, FF/RW, and commercial skip all work fine. At some point, usually 12-30 minutes, the video starts jumping and sometimes the audio too. I see "prebuffering pause" messages logged in mythfrontend.log.
>>
>> To resolve the problem I have to reboot the system. To be sure, the following does NOT resolve the problem:
>>
>> 1) pause/unpause the show
>> 2) stop/start playback again
>> 3) exit mythfrontned and start mythfrontend again
>> 4) exit X11 and start it again
>>
>> Thoughts? Is anyone else having trouble with vdpau and HD recordings on 0.23?
>>

> Following up on my own status, I've tried the following additional steps. These have not resolved the problem:
>
> 1) Enabled OpenGL sync in MythTV settings
> 2) Verified 512MB of video memory was set in BIOS
> 3) Added UseEvents On to the xorg.conf
> 4) Reset FE back to default prefs (removed from FE prefs from converg.settings table on the BE)
>        - Set theme to blue-abstract
>        - Set audio out to ALSA:hdmi
>        - Enabled DTS and AC3 pass through
>        - Enabled VDPAU Normal profile
>
> A log of the problem before I did these latest changes is available at:
> http://pastebin.com/GZDB18CU
>
> I started playback of a 720p source at time code 2010-05-11 22:13:08.711 and the video problem starts at time code 2010-05-11 22:18:17.811.
>
> -- Scott

Have you checked your network? I had a similar problem, and the cause
was having three switches between the frontend and the backend. With
them both on the same switch, I don't see the problem anymore. I am on
Gig-E as well, which I think helps a lot as well.

Tom