[mythtv-users] analog recordings won't play with some devices (long and confusing)

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue May 11 17:56:57 UTC 2010

On 5/11/2010 11:53 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 12:31 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> I have two MythTV backends that record analog signals using Hauppauge
>> tuners and am having trouble playing the recordings with various
>> non-Myth devices.
>>
>> Mysteries:
>>
>> - why can mplayer not play some of my recordings from MythTV 0.22
>> while it can play recordings from MythTV 0.20?
>>
>> - why can Linux-based XBMC not play my recordings with MythTV 0.22 but
>> it can play recordings from MythTV 0.20? Yet OSX-based XBMC can
>> play them.
>>
>> - why can WDTV not play any of my MythTV recordings (albeit with two
>> different failure modes)?
>> (2) a newer Mythbuntu with MythTV 0.22 (64-bit).
>> Uses the analog sections of two Hauppauge HVR 1600 tuners.
>> The driver for the tuners is from the hg repository since
>> the one in Ubuntu's kernel isn't stable.
>>
>> (a) default recording profile. Similar to (1) except
>> width 480, Avg bitrate 4500, Max bitrate 6000,
>> Sampling rate 4800. I didn't choose this, it just happened.
>
> If nothing else, I recommend changing your recording profiles to all use
> 720 width. So, for NTSC, 720x480; or for PAL, 720x586. I'm assuming the
> sampling rate is actually 48000 (48kHz), and if so, that's good.
> Otherwise, please change it.

I've been having similar problems playing videos recorded by 0.22 as
well.  I've been  happily using mythrename and share the files over the
network to be accessed by other computers, since the upgrade it just
doesn't work with most players.  The only player that it seems to work
with right now is the one included/recommended by the CCCP software.
Media Player Classic I think it's called.  But VLC, Windows Media
Player, Nero Digital Blah, Blah, etc doesn't work.  I was hoping it was
a configuration issue, but I couldn't find anything, so I'm hoping 0.23
will fix it.