[mythtv-users] Cannot scan for channels: pay for MythTV ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue May 11 17:33:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:25:42AM -0500, Justin Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Most of us are not in the MythTV "business" to save or to make money, we're in
> > it to get a better system than we could get anywhere else.
> >
> > I'd compare Myth to a Heathkit TV set back in the 60s or 70s, you didn't get a
> > cheaper set, you got a superior set, and you got enough knowledge of how the
> > set works to deal with any problems that came up. You also got a great
> > "hobby".
>
> I actually started using Myth because I thought it would be a lot
> cheaper than getting a TiVo. I quickly realized the error of my ways

     It's hard to directly compare the systems because Tivo has that monthly
subscription charge that's somewhat hidden and ready made upgrades for it can
be more expensive.

     Then there's the fact that MythTV allows you do do things that Tivo doesn't
allow for. Chasing those can be expensive by themselves.

     With the newer ION hardware, I think the price balance has tipped in favor
of MythTV and homebrew PVRs in general. The new machines look cheap only if you
don't factor in that subscription or extra disks.

     Myth gear has gotten considerably cheaper and easier to find. More PC
hardware seems to be designed with HTPC use in mind TVs are much easier to deal
with. The march of progress...