[mythtv-users] Zotac ZBox HD-ID11-U (ION 2?)ships

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 11 15:37:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday 10 May 2010 10:07:05 pm MarcT wrote:
>> A serious consideration, since the only advantage I was expecting from the
>> ION2 was the ability to do Adv2x.
>>
>> Opinions:
>>
>> I'd like to see a couple of RAM slots instead of just 1. Single-channel
>> memory
>> is so 20th Century.
>>
>> I don't like being forced to buy WiFi whether I want it or not. A mini-PCIe
>> slot would allow the user to go with WiFi if desired, and also use a
>> CrystalHD
>> module, also if desired.
>>
>> The card reader is unnecessary, the user could just connect a USB reader is
>> needed. A cheap "feature" to boost the price without raising the cost.
>>
>> The list of "features" seems mostly software-related, and not anything Myth
>> would want.
>>
>> I don't see any real advantage over the Revo 1600. The second core isn't
>> really needed for a Myth frontend.
>>
>> I don't get it, you are the second person to say there is no mini-PCIe slot
>> when the anandtech article states this on the second page
>> "On the other side of the motherboard you'll find the WiFi card as well as
>> an open mini PCI Express slot for expansion. Zotac uses two of the NM10's
>> PCIe lanes to feed these ports, leaving only a x1 lane for the NVIDIA
>>  NG-ION GPU."
>>
>> Not that I am touting the system like I used too.. it sounds mediocre.
>
> I based my comment on a reviewer complaining about no mini PCIe slot.
>
> I should know better than to trust N/E's reviewers.

also, none of the Zotac spec's say it has them. same with their ION 1
systems, which I haven't dug into enough to see if they do or not.

Well, I'm going to go ahead and get the Acer Revo 1600 then, and hope
that Flash(or whatever replaces it)/MythTV support for the CrystalHD
chipset eventually gets supported. It's only for my bedroom so I can
live with using Temporal (2x) as a deinterlacer, I have a GT220 for
the living room which is the more serious system anyway.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!