[mythtv-users] "Watch Recordings" some frontends slow, some fast?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:20:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 07:07 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> actually, in playing around, I'm noticing that it looks to be the
>> shows that don't have downloaded fan art for the background that are
>> slow, as though mythfrontend is waiting for the image to download, and
>> if there isn't one it just waits some period of time before becoming
>> responsive again. So if I'm in a specific show with fan art for the
>> background it moves between episodes fairly quickly, but if it's a
>> show without, then it's very slow.
>
> If you have your HOME (and, therefore $HOME/.mythtv ) directory mounted over
> NFS, or if you have the Images Storage Group directories or the MythVideo
> (local) directories (if you're not using Storage Groups) mounted over NFS,
> make sure you're *not* configuring those mounts the way we've recommended
> you configure your recordings directories (
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.9 ).  You need to
> enable NFS file attribute caching on the Images/MythVideo directories.  So
> do /not/ use actimeo=0 or noac and make sure, if you do modify actimeo or
> acregmin, acregmax, acdirmin, or acdirmax that you use appropriate values
> (as can be found through trial/error if you really feel you need to adjust
> them).  NFS defaults should be appropriate, though.  You /definitely/ need
> at least actimeo=1, but higher is probably better.
>
> For the recordings directories, actimeo=0 is useful to allow Live TV to work
> properly.  It will kill performance, though, if you use it on
> Images/MythVideo directories.

I don't have my recordings directory mounted via NFS to frontend only
machines since I have the "always stream" option set. Should I mount
it anyway?

I had actimeo=0 set, so I removed it from the mount fstab line, when I
get home from work I'll check it out.

thanks for the help!

--
Steve