[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon May 10 10:34:45 UTC 2010

On 10 May 2010, at 11:18, James Thorpe wrote:

> On 10/05/2010 10:30, Phil Wild wrote:

>>> Yep - wish I'd known that when we bought ours!  Fantastic TV in every regard
>>> except the HDMI will only run at 60Hz @ 1920x1080.  If anyone has any
>>> workarounds to stop the video being quite as jittery (though I have sort of
>>> got used to it now) I'd love to hear them!
>>>

>> I am using JYA's repo and have set up myth to reset the refresh to
>> match the video source and the panel quite happily switches from 50Hz
>> for recordings to 60Hz for other sources. I can confirm this using the
>> info displayed in the top left hand corner when the signal is synching
>> 1920x1080 at 50Hz or 1920x1080 at 60Hz
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil
>>

> I've got a series 5 - I've tried manually configuring mythbuntu to run at 50Hz all the time (I only watch TV through myth right now - no other videos etc), but the TV just flatly refuses to switch - I'm pretty sure when I finally got round to checking the manual it too said it only runs 60Hz - I've certainly not seen the info in the top left say anything else while I've been attempting to change the resfresh rate.  Perhaps I should take another look at see if it supports 50Hz at lower resolutions - we don't watch much HD stuff at the moment anyway.

Maybe you need to add a modeline for 50hz, I've seen a few sets that don't report 50hz but are fine if you feed it to them. There are some suitable generic modelines in the MythTV Wiki, I got my 24hz modeline from there. I plugged a laptop into a series 6 recently and had to override to get 50hz. It's also possible it only accepts 1080i at 50hz, hopefully not though.