[mythtv-users] Cannot scan for channels: pay for MythTV ?

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Mon May 10 10:16:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, 09 May 2010 20:59:52 -0400,
"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote :

> >    Here are the current video devices:
> >
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 may 9 19:40 /dev/video0
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 5 may 9 19:40 /dev/video1
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 3 may 9 19:40 /dev/video24
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 8 may 9 19:40 /dev/video25
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 1 may 9 19:40 /dev/video32
> > crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 6 may 9 19:40 /dev/video33
> >
> >    There are no 'scan for channels' option available in
> > mythtv-setup.  They are greyed out or otherwise no clickable.
> > The rest of the configuration is OK, but there's no scan that can
> > be done.  I'm not using Schedules Direct at the moment (will do
> > when I see the system working, though).  So I'd simply like to scan
> > for channels for the two tuners (one is cable direct, the other is
> > the S-video output of the cable box) to see if the video inputs are
> > OK.

> Just use the 7-day free trial of Schedules Direct.  Analog scanning
> is disabled in 0.22.  You're only making things harder for yourself
> by not using Schedules Direct to do the setup.

As I've written, I'm considering using Schedules Direct this time
around once the system works.  I've never used that service in the years
before with and we were satisfied with the usefulness of MythTV as is.

I'm curious: has MythTV became in the meanwhile an indirect paid-for
product which enforces the use of a paid subscription Schedules
Direct ?