[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Mon May 10 09:30:27 UTC 2010

On 10 May 2010 16:18, James Thorpe <james at tfxsoft.com> wrote:
> On 10/05/2010 09:13, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>
>> apparently Samsung isn't a good option in the UK, because they have a
>> problem with 50Hz sources. :-(
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> Yep - wish I'd known that when we bought ours!  Fantastic TV in every regard
> except the HDMI will only run at 60Hz @ 1920x1080.  If anyone has any
> workarounds to stop the video being quite as jittery (though I have sort of
> got used to it now) I'd love to hear them!

I have a Sumsung panel and live in Australia. All OTA signals run at
50Hz and my panel has no issue with this. I have my mythtv frontend
connected to this panel via HDMI (actually, there is a pioneer
receiver sitting in the middle but I don't think this makes any
difference).

I am using JYA's repo and have set up myth to reset the refresh to
match the video source and the panel quite happily switches from 50Hz
for recordings to 60Hz for other sources. I can confirm this using the
info displayed in the top left hand corner when the signal is synching
1920x1080 at 50Hz or 1920x1080 at 60Hz

I also run this panel on "Just scan" to display the full 1920x1080
signal without any overscan or scaling via the TV itself although
sometime switch to overscan if the stations are broadcasting too much
garbage in the first or last row of pixels.

My TV is no longer available (purchased 18 months ago) but the
replacement model is PS50C6500 - Series 6 50inch. I did not see any
value in purchasing a series 7 panel as the dlna features are not
really of any value when you have mythtv attached...

Cheers

Phil