[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Mon May 10 06:02:57 UTC 2010

On 5/10/10 00:33 , Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Ben Kamen wrote:
>>
>> Sky is still doing very well over here. The vast majority of people still
>> paying them money don't realise they could ditch their Sky and get a freesat
>> receiver - and still get enough good programming to keep them happy. The
>> mass revolt isn't going to happen, not for a long time. The best we can hope
>> for is that enough people slowly decide to tighten their wallets, and Sky
>> are forced to be more competitive - but so far, all the evidence points to
>> "competitive" == "buy up more 'key stuff'". Ie they go out and buy exclusive
>> rights to enough sports events (for example) that anyone keen on sports is
>> more or less forced to pay Sky to watch the events.
>>
> Here too (NZ). AFAICT 80-90% of people who keep Sky do so to watch
> Sport (especially Rugby) which they have a near monopoly on here,
> others like things like History, Discovery, Nat Geo, Arts, but they
> are in a real minority.I hear so many people say they would give up
> Sky if they could watch Super 14 (rugby) and Rugby test matches live
> on Freeview.
>
> Luckily NZ has a once in a generation entry to the Soccer World Cup
> this year, and it'll be free to air. *Raspberry to Sky*. As will the
> Rugby World Cup next year.

I'll have Discovery any time over sports channels (Yuk!)
But since over here we use CARDS for the subscriptions, we can use
devices like the Dreambox series (contrary to popular believe many
people *do* use them in a legitimate manner!) and record the programs on
a HDD or Network share... There's reports of successful use of them as
MythTV tuners as well! (Ofc. YMWV!)
--
Francesco