[mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast with my wallet

Jeff Jensen jjensen at apache.org
Sun May 9 20:23:49 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Brian Wood
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 2:53 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Comcast bricked me above 33 so I bricked Comcast
with my wallet

On Sunday 09 May 2010 01:08:46 pm Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 5/9/2010 4:34 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> > Ben Kamen wrote:
> >> Ultimately, it comes to this:
> >>
> >> What if we all just canceled cable for a a couple of months.
> >>
> >> Everyone.
> >> Really.
> >
> > Well i suspect that if everyone using Myth dumped them on the same day
> > ... it wouldn't even show as a blip on their churn rates, let alone
> > balance sheet.
> >
> > You are faced with a situation where 90% of their 'customers' haven't a
> > clue, 9% have some clue but don't care, 0.99% care but not enough to do
> > anything, and then that leaves the 0.01% that would do it.
> >
> > OK, so made up figures, got any better guesses ?
>
> I agree with the absurdity of your numbers. While they may not be exact,
>  they are probably accurate in proportion -- I'm not just talking Myth
>  Users though. If EVERYONE cancelled for a month.. wow - that would send a
>  message.

Or you could have a lot of people call and complain about "fuzzy pictures"
or
something equally subjective. It costs them a lot of money to roll vehicles
on
service calls, and cable companies don't dare charge for them (at least not
the sane ones), it's the only way they have of finding out how their system
is
working.

This would inconvenience Comcast a lot, without causing inconvenience to the

customers like a month without cable might.

But a Cable-Less Day would probably get their attention.

Certainly just getting people to stop buying on-demand or other high-profit
services might hit them in the cash box.

> But you're right that the amount that "care" is infinitesimal to the
number
>  that just don't know or don't care.
>
> And that's where it gets disappointing.

Very.

So create a Facebook page (an event?) for this idea - choose a date perhaps
6 months from now - all of us email it to our contacnts, and see how many
agree to do it.