[mythtv-users] OT: LED or Plasma (was Advice on choosing a TV)

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun May 9 15:25:04 UTC 2010

I'm confused now! After reading through all the great advice in your
replies, I was seeing the sense of not making too much of the choice
based on viewing in shops. I've been reading a lot of reviews and
forum discussions. That led me to settle on a Panasonic Plasma
TX-P50G20B. But I thought I should at least see one before I
committed. I visited a shop today, and had them show me it
playing various content with varying sources. It looked great, but...

the one thing that's now derailed my thinking a bit was a side-by-side
comparison with a blu-ray of Avatar between a plasma and a led tv
(TX-P42G20b and TX-L42D25B). The led looked superb. I was expecting
the colours to look more vibrant in shop lighting, but it looked
like it was in a far higher resolution, with so much more detail.
Is that likely to be down to shop lighting, or are leds inherently
sharper than plasmas? I can't imagine how. These were both 1080
panels. Would I find under more normal lighting conditions
that the Plasma's image was just as sharp and detailed as the
LED looked in the shop? Is there some difference in the layout
of pixel elements or the image processing that makes the difference?

Paul.