[mythtv-users] Strange audio stop on Ubuntu 9.10 and 22fixes

Andrew mythtv at heathsworld.com
Sat May 8 21:48:11 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 11/27/2009 04:47 PM, mark wrote:
>
>> Matt S. wrote:

>>> Mark - not sure, but I'm having a similar issue in that occasionally
>>> on Ubuntu 9.10 where I'll loose the ability to send analog/pcm sound
>>> out via SPDIF, yet digital audio still works.  It seems to be resolved
>>> when I run the speaker-test command.  Here's a bug report of the
>>> issue, thought it might be related to what you are seeing, but I
>>> honestly don't know:
>>>
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/25632
>>>
>> Yes, that does sound like my issue.  Odd.  Oh well, a cron entry to
>> restart alsa-utils will fix it.
>>

> Both sound like issues where you're using PulseAudio in an external
> program, which re-enables the suspended Pulse that made audio work properly
> in Myth.
>
> Mike

I had this problem in 9.10 as well and restarted alsa all the darn time.  I
am using 10.04 now and just noticed that i can fix it by just toggling the
mute in alsamixer for the master audio.  That's right, just mute and unmute
and viola.  I am using SPDIF as well.  Something happens in myth when
changing between live TV, recordings, or mythmusic.   I use all three all
the time and have to keep alsamixer open in another window for toggling.
Hopefully we can find a fix soon because it's just plain annoying.  ;)

Andrew