[mythtv-users] Wintv-PVR-USB2 and Virtual box. Am I going to far?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat May 8 09:59:42 UTC 2010

2010/5/8 Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>:
> On 5/8/2010 04:36, Kenni Lund wrote:
>> 2010/5/7 Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>:
>> Running the backend in a virtual machine gives you lots of other
>> advantages. Often you want to run a completely stable -fixes system
>> for the family, but once in a while you run into a problem, and you're
>> asked to test if some patch or configuration change solves the issue.
>> Or perhaps you just want to test some new feature in MythTV.
> This has nothing to do with virtualization.  You can achieve the same effect
> with isolated containers, simple chroot, or even by just by using separate
> prefixes and manipulating the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables.

You're absolutely right that it's possible, but I think the keyword
here is "simplicity" :) You spend some hardware resources in exchange
for simplicity. If you don't want (or know how) to manage libraries
etc, virtualization is an easy way to run multiple instances in

> This is the only advantage of true virtualization, the ability to run
> multiple, fully independent operating systems. Virtualization is not the end
> all solution to all problems.  It's the computer equivalent of fixing things
> by hitting them with a sledge.  It's overkill where a much simpler approach
> will achieve the same results.

Simple from a *technical point of view* or from a *users perspective*?