[mythtv-users] MythTV to MythVideo, best and easiest solution for Mythbuntu 10.4?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Fri May 7 15:47:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch> wrote:
> I found that just copying/moving the unchanged mpg file of a recording
> (mpeg-2) to /var/lib/mythtv/videos doesn't work. The file is not
> recognized by MythVideo (yes, I did the update). At least this was so
> some weeks ago (when Mythbuntu 10.4 was in the testing stadium).

If you copy/move/link the .mpg recording file into your mythvideo
directory it will show up after a mythvideo scan (if it doesn't show
up you have a serous bug on your machine).  But it wont have any
metadata.  It will be called by its filename.  For example:
003495888569403.mpg, etc.

If that is the way you want to go, you could brute force it as
follows: Use mythlink.pl to generate a human readable .mpg file.  Copy
it to mythvideo.  Use jamu.py ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Jamu ) to
find and grab the metadata into mythvideo based on the filename.

That should work but it would be very inefficient.  It would involve
hitting remote servers (themoviedb.org, thetvdb.org) to get metadata
that is already stored locally on your machine.  It would probably not
be a huge challenge to write a script that used the mythtv python
bindings to transfer the metadata.

-Ryan