[mythtv-users] OSX Live TV issues

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 14:02:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone had any issues with LiveTV under OSX.
>
> I've recently acquired a 2006 intel iMac, and decided to pop
> mythfrontend on it.
>
> I'm running a combined be/fe on debian, following trunk, and have
> built the OSX version using the packager script recommended on the
> wiki, which works fine.
>
> The version I've built is SVN 24473, which is built to match the
> version on the BE/FE. Built using XCode 3.2.2 (the download with the
> iPhone SDK included.)
>
> This seems to work okay, I can access the be fine, and watch
> recordings without issue.
>
> However, entering live TV causes the frontend to crash without fail,
> this happens regardless of the live tv state on the combined BE/FE.
>
> The please wait window appears, I get the OSD telling me it's
> acquiring a lock, then it just crashes.
>
> This happens with either opengl or quartz-blit (both work as expected
> playing back recordings.)
>
> I compiled using the '-m32' switch, as it didn't appear to compile without
> it.
>
> A couple of crash logs can be found here:
>
> http://thejolly.demon.co.uk/~ian/mythcrash/
>
> FWIW, I'm still pretty new to the Mac and OSX, so it's quite possible
> I've just done something similar.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

I have been using a precompiles .22 build for OS X from the snider pad on my
wifes c2009 macbook pro, and I was seeing similar results. Recordings will
work well, but live tv will often crash (my wife cannot be trained to use a
DVR; she'll watch live tv even when the show is recording, just so we can
use two tuners for one show).  I'm inclined not to fix it in the hopes that
it will train her to watch the recordings!  But still, I'd like to know what
the problem is as well.  I'm on .23 now, but I haven't setup her laptop yet,
maybe it will work better, but this would indicate that it's likely to be an
ongoing issue.