[mythtv-users] Is there a default start/finish offset option?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri May 7 12:28:59 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> (The ones Jason is thinking of probably shouldn't even be settings,
> but that's a whole other can of worms.)

I realize I risk opening said can of worms despite having from the
sidelines laughed at every one of the innumerable hard/soft padding
threads over the past several years, but I'd hate to see the
soft-padding settings go away.

I set the settings to one minute early and one minute late,
respectively. They do exactly what I want them to do:

* Give all recordings a one-minute padding by default at the start and
  at the end . . .
* . . . Unless the scheduler needs the tuner for something else.
* And, if I so choose, I can change the settings again in one place,
  unlike the "hard padding" settings for which I'd also have to go
  through every recording rule created since their modification

I know soft padding was created to deal with slow tuners. I know
you've said in the past that anyone who needs padding in their
recordings for other purposes should use hard padding instead, because
soft padding is not always going to be used. To me that's a benefit;
while having padding is certainly a nice precaution against programs
that run slightly early or slightly late it's a bonus, not a
necessity, given that I live in the US th scheduling tends to be
accurate enough. In the past 4.5 years and by using the above
soft-padding settings I've had to resort to setting recording
rule-level hard-padding for exactly one program: _Robot Chicken_. So,
overall, soft padding does exactly what I want it to do (or not do).

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array