[mythtv-users] recommend PCI DVB-T Tuner Card?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu May 6 16:46:53 UTC 2010

On 06/05/2010 02:01, lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com wrote:

> On Thursday 06/05/2010 at 10:31 am, Ed W wrote:
>>
>> I have one of these as a trial:
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RP6YL6/ref=oss_product
>>       (PEAK External Dual Channel DVB-T TV Tuner)
>>
>> Seems to be working ok and I'm going to buy 2 more and see what
>> happens... I believe that this may be really saturating the USB bus, but
>> I am not sure what tool I can use to check that? I don't have much else
>> interesting connected though
>
> The USB bus has way more bandwidth than is needed for HD, you could
> have 4 HD tuners recording simultaneously with no problems. From
> memory, your average HD channel maxes out at 50 Mbs, even for 1080p,
> whereas USB 2.0 has 480Mbs availble.

Also, although Devin can probably confirm (?) I thought I saw that
several USB devices dump the whole TS stream over the USB bus and leave
it for the host to demux it?

Devin can you comment on the Peak above? It identifies itself in dmesg as:
     af9013: found a 'Afatech AF9013 DVB-T' in warm state.
     af9013: firmware version:4.95.0
     usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_af9015

So far it's been running very solidly and in free air it's just lightly
warm.  The format is also nice, ie you just have a couple of antenna
wires out of the wall, a lump in the middle of them, followed by USB at
the far end.

I just bought 2x more of these... I'm hoping they will work out...

Cheers

Ed W