[mythtv-users] recommend PCI DVB-T Tuner Card?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:26:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:14:57 pm Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> nfortunately, the theoretical doesn't really match real life that
> closely.  Given crappy driver optimization under Linux for most
> boards, you're not likely to get more than two to stream HD reliably
> at the same time.

Bollocks. Utter bollocks. I regularly record 3-4 HD channels simultaneously. I
once tried 14 channels at once (mix of HD & SD) with no problems.

> And be prepared to get a powered USB hub, since
> even a single tuner draws pretty close to the 500ma limit while
> streaming (thereby hitting the power limit on a single port).

Same as above. I have 3 USB devices (2 single and one double tuner) running off
the ports on my mobo.

> Also bear in mind that most of the USB tuners simply are not designed
> for 24x7 operation (cost is a key concern).  They're great for casual
> "I want to watch some TV on my laptop once in a while", but I would
> definitely think twice about using them for a MythTV box.

The quality does vary. I've had 4 Artec 14 BR fail on me. OTOH my TinyTwin and
Asus 3100 have been going with no problems for 2 years. Many people swear by
the Asus 3100 - rock solid.

--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home