[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is on

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Thu May 6 00:04:45 UTC 2010

On 05/05/2010 3:42 PM, M.A.E.M. Hanson wrote:

Mike, nice sleuthing! I'm sure you made a lot of people happy today.

> I had a change to play with my Verizon Motorola QIP-6200 (my box is
> actually QIP-6200-2 if that makes a bit of difference) this morning.
> Here's what I found...
> Now for my custom compiled versions of 6200ch...
>
> 6200ch-on -v -n0 -q # Sends discrete power on ; does nothing.
>
> 6200ch-off -v -n0 -q # Sends discrete power off ; does nothing.
Check the code it is sending. The way I saw you set this in the 6200ch
code leads me to believe you may not have B2 in the 3rd byte but 7C
instead. 7C is the panel command. B2 is the power command.

> 6200ch-menu -v -n0 -q ; 6200ch -v -n0 -4 570
>
> It clears the screen saver, but channel change "misfires" and the "5"
> is not sent or sent before the QIP-6200 was ready for it.  I also
> tried sending "0570" but again, only "70" made it to the QIP-6200.
as you surmised it needs a guard time as the root_menu may take a while
to process. You should also see this when using your remote (ie. it
won't respond to the following key press if you are too quick).

> So again in the "off" state, the following was sent:
>
> 6200ch-menu -v -n0 -q ; sleep 1 ; 6200ch -v -n0 -4 570
>
> The screen saver was cleared bringing the QIP-6200 to the "on" state
> and the channel change was sucessful.  I tried this 8-10 times and it
> worked every time.
>
> So I propose, to create a switch (i.e. -q) that sends ROOT_MENU
> followed by EXIT.  That way we can ensure the screen saver is clearerd
> if it is on or the menu is cleared if the screen saver is NOT on...
> Unless we can figure out a reliable was to get the state of the
> QIP-6200. :)
George's suggestion is good about making it a switch.

I'm not sure if anyone is actually maintaining 6200ch. I haven't looked.
But myth does have firewire code in it now for channel changing.

Based on your research, I will update sa3250cmd as well. I should
probably change the name of this too as it in fact will be more useful
on non-SA boxes :-o