[mythtv-users] hosed database (again)

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Wed May 5 22:03:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 17:12 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> >    I know it was working Tuesday as I watched something that I had
> > recorded Monday Night, and the only thing that I know of that changed
> > was a security update in mysql just a couple of hours ago.
> >
> >    What on earth am I looking at in terms of a problem and how do I fix
> > this mess?
> >

> This looks like your system upgraded mysql versions and didn't run the
> mysql_upgrade script, which upgrades the binary data files.

  <sigh>  Yeah well there's at least one person on the oS list bitching
about the mysql update, his was nuked completely in favour of mariadb

> I would fix it by deleting the entire mysql data file directory
> structure, then re-initializing the database server (with
> mysql_install_db ), then restoring my mythconverg backup.  That would be
> the over kill approach.

> If you don't want to do it that way, you can see if running
> mysql_upgrade fixes it.  Make sure you also run a mysqlcheck after
> mysql_upgrade, just in case.  If that doesn't work, I recommend talking
> with either some people using your distro or some people who know MySQL.

  Frankly, what i need is the time to migrate from oS over to Ubuntu
(10.04) as my primary boot, I'm no longer happy with all the
maintainence that oS now requires (I just spent 30 minutes redoing my x
configuration for some stupid reason.)  I tried the mysql_upgrade, and
it died with the following error:

P-733-Lin:/usr/bin # ./mysql_upgrade
Looking for 'mysql' in: /usr/bin/mysql
Looking for 'mysqlcheck' in: /usr/bin/mysqlcheck
Running 'mysqlcheck'...
/usr/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL
server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to
connect
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

  So atm, I also have problems with the db software and not just the db.
<sigh>  Well off the oS list.

> In general, any time you (or your distro) change the MySQL server, you
> should ensure you've made a nice backup of your MythTV database (and,
> really, any other databases you have) before making those changes.  See
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore for info on using
> the MythTV backup script to create a backup of the MythTV database.

   Can 0.21 actually do this automatically?  I did a locate for the
various *.sql.gz files and I'm getting nada, even in the directory that
they're located in.