[mythtv-users] HDMI to Component/Composite/VGA

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 5 13:58:17 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 05 May 2010 07:46:41 am Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 2010-05-05 15:42, Brian Wood wrote:
> >> Isn't that un-american and almost criminal to use?
> >> You avoid HDCP! You can't do that!
> >>
> >> If you disagree, please call your representatives to get the laws
> >> changed.
> >
> > Upon thinking about it, "compliant" most likely means it will not convert
> > protected content.
>
> I think there's a jumper in the box to make it un-compliant again.
> (or some other trick)
> What other use would such a box have in this time of digital HD content?
>
> > Remember that the USA was
> > founded by criminal smugglers, bootleg rum makers, tax evaders, tea
> > thieves and other associated lawbreakers.
>
> Then why hasn't the law changed over all of this time? ;-)

It hasn't. Criminal activity is still encouraged, as long as you share your
ill-gotten gains by making "campaign contributions".

As to why should such a device be sold? Go into any software store and you
will see a box that says "DVD-Copy". Of course the one thing that product
won't do is copy a DVD. Great way to make money, sell something the buyer
thinks will help him break the law, so he can't complain when it doesn't do
what he thought it would. Sort of like "Officer, arrest that man, he sold me bad
drugs".

Notice no manufacturer's name is indicated on that page. I'd never buy a
product not knowing who stood (or didn't stand) behind it.