[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is on

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Tue May 4 03:02:46 UTC 2010

On 03/05/2010 4:02 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Phil Linttell
> <phil.linttell at rogers.com <mailto:phil.linttell at rogers.com>> wrote:
>

>     > Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 22:41:06 -0400
>     > From: Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com <mailto:jerrymr at gmail.com>>
>     > After a few trouble-free years, for the third time in a month, I
>     discovered
>     > my STB had somehow entered a power-off state, and as a result I
>     missed a
>     > couple of recordings.
>
>     Hi Jerry,
>
>     I gather you only care about turning the STB on, not off?  I'm
>     using the
>     external channel changer 10f "mythchanger" by majoridiot that has a
>     power on function - not a toggle, it only turns the STB on.  I'm using
>     the sa4250, but the program supports the 3250 as well.
>
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/majoridiot
>

> Phil, thanks for the pointer to majoridiot's program.  Unfortunately,
> it looks like from the second-to-last post here:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=977820&page=3
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=977820&page=3>
> that mythchanger doesn't work with the QIP boxes (that's what I have,
> not an SA3250).  I'll verify tonight just in case, but I don't have
> high hopes.  Also, it looks like majoridiot doesn't maintain the
> program anymore.  It probably doesn't matter, because I'm thinking the
> QIP-6200 doesn't even have a discrete on command, just a toggle.
>
> In any case, one of the scripts posted on that mythchanger thread I
> linked demonstrates exactly what I needed to do.  Namely, starting a
> program and then killing it off after a second.  I figured it would be
> something pretty simple.

Another option is a program I wrote that checks for power status on the
STB and then you can turn it on or off. I expect this will work on any
STB as I use the original power codes defined in the late 90's. I also
have a script that does the power status check before turning on the STB
that way you save an additional second as the power on requires a 1
second guard time.

Check out: http://code.google.com/p/sa3250cmd/

don't be spooked by the name sa3250. When I first wrote it, it was for
sa3250 and sa4250 boxes but it should be generic and has also been
verified on the Motorola DCT series. Let me know if it works or not on
yours and I will add it to the compatibility list.

Also note majoridiot is using the same power codes but I don't remember
what logic he checks before doing this so it may/may not work with the QIP.