[mythtv-users] VDPAU 9300 vs 9400 ?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon May 3 13:15:16 UTC 2010

Hi

On 3 May 2010 22:47, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
> glitches in playback.  Also the frontend is quite "sluggish" - eg entering
> the music or media screens takes quite a few seconds before the list appears
> (I believe our UI widgets still need to be populated before they can
> display? Seems to create quite some lag on slow systems where there is a lot
> of stuff in the list?).  The music visualisations are also quite stilted...

> So I'm back on the hunt for a beefier system.  I was about to buy the
> Gigabyte, but now wondering if I need something beefier like a fanless
> gforce 240...
>
> Can you get flawless full quality 1080P playing with all formats on your
> box?  Did you ever measure full power draw on your machine - I'm wondering
> if I can get away with a Pico-PSU 150..? Can then get rid of all the fans,
> etc...

I have a E8500 C2D on that box ; so I don't know what slow UI means :)

the 9400M has no problem playing any contents; can just do Temporal 2X
on HD however, not advanced.

If I was to do it again today...
as a frontend, I would get a ION or ION2 if they exist...

it's nicer, smaller, use less power, and sufficient for my needs.

I can't say I've ever seen a 240GT fanless yet