[mythtv-users] [HOWTO] Install XMLTV 0.5.57 On Mythbuntu 10.04

nospam312 nospam312 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 10:37:57 UTC 2010

1. This appears to work for me, it may not for you, use entirely at
your own risk.  You could quite easily end up with a completely broken
system.
2. Only been tested (very briefly so far) with Mythbuntu 10.04 and
tv_grab_uk_rt grabber.
3. I have created these instructions after I got the new version of
XMLTV working on my system I may have missed a step that may be
needed.
4. This process will NOT work if you need to use the tv_grab_it_dvb grabber.
5. Thanks goes to "chrisb" for posting the details on what needed to
be done and the dummy package - all I have done is pulled everything
together and use my little bit of Linux knowledge to hopefully
persuade the correct versions of each package to install.
6. There is probably a way simpler method of doing what I have done
below.  It may break upgrading XMLTV when an official method of
upgrading the new version is available.

At a prompt do the following - this installs a dummy package that
allows the new XMLTV to install and ensures a new Perl module is used
so there are no Date problems with the uk_rt grabber:

wget http://people.debian.org/~chrisb/dummy-liblinux-dvb-perl/dummy-liblinux-dvb-perl_1.0_all.deb
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdate-manip-perl/libdate-manip-perl_6.07-2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i dummy-liblinux-dvb-perl_1.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i libdate-manip-perl_6.07-2_all.deb
rm dummy-liblinux-dvb-perl_1.0_all.deb
rm libdate-manip-perl_6.07-2_all.deb

****BE VERY CAREFUL - DO NOT DO A [PARTIAL] UPGRADE OF ALL PACKAGES****

In Synaptec Package Manager temporarily add a new software source to
upgrade the XMLTV package and its dependencies and then remove the
temporary software source:

Open Applications - System - Synaptec Package Manager
Menu - Settings - Repositories - Other Software - Add (no quotes):
"deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main"
Reload button
Search for xmltv
Right click xmltv - Mark For Upgrade
Apply button

MAKE SURE YOU ARE ONLY UPGRADING XMLTV RELATED ITEMS BEFORE CONFIRMING
ANYTHING (I HAD 4/5 PACKAGES TO UPGRADE / 400+ PACKAGES LEFT
UNCHANGED)

Absolutely essential you now go back to Software Sources and
****remove**** the Other Software entry you added in a previous step:

Menu - Settings - Repositories - Other Software - Remove: "deb