No subject

Wed Mar 17 21:23:44 UTC 2010

VideoLAN acquired by RealNetworks
2010-04-01
VideoLAN is proud to announce that it has been acquired by RealNetworks, the world's premiere provider of Internet media delivery
tools. RealNetworks will be working with VideoLAN over the next few months to leverage the powerful Real toolset to improve VLC
media player and other VideoLAN software. Accordingly, with the introduction of Real's superior solutions, we will be dropping all
other encoders from the streaming component of VLC media player. Additionally, to better serve our customers, we will be introducing
a new VLC media player Pro application, with cutting edge streaming capabilities and the ability to play back and edit all Real
video and audio formats. This new application will be available for the low low price of $30/€30. We hope you enjoy the new VLC
media player!

Is this an April Fools post?

Will dropping all encoders (for streaming) be a good thing?

I am not sure how an open source project like VLC gets acquired by a commercial entity and whether this will be a good thing for
open source, or even consistent with open source?

Could something like this ever happen with mythtv?

Any comments?