[mythtv-users] Problem playing some 5.1 audio.

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Mar 31 13:39:59 UTC 2010

> > Ok... more testing and I still cannot get the sounds on my 5.1 channel
> AAC
> > files to come out the correct speaker.
> Would you have an 5.1 AAC test track ?

I do indeed have a test track.

> I wrote code for 0.22 to re-order the AAC channel but I didn't put it
> in for the following reasons:
> 1- ffmpeg was supposed to have it fixed and the ffmpeg resync would
> have made the fix available to mythtv

I am running Mythbuntu 9.10 with the mythtv daily builds for .23.  It is
very possible that this was fixed by ffmpeg but it is not included
the Ubuntu 9.10 repository.

> 2- There are two very different ways AAC audio can be decoded in
> mythtv. Using libfaad (which seems to be the default with many
> distributions) or using ffmpeg build-in decoder. Both of them are
> using different channel ordering (all of them wrong).
> Originally ffmpeg used to present the channel order in the way it was
> stored in the format; like
> AC3: LFE L C R SL SR
> WAV: L R C LFE SL SR
> AAC: C L R SL SR LFE
>
> Then they changed to always output the same ordering for all format except
> AAC..

Is there a way to determine what method my distro is using?  Is it simple to
change manually?

> MythTV and the new audio code introduced for 0.23 expect the channel
> order to be the same for all format...
>
> Re-ordering the channels isn't too complicated ; it's a matter of
> doing the right re-order according to the right format *and* the
> library used for the decoding...
>
> If you have a 5.1 AAC test track, I can work on this ASAP and provide
> a fix in time for 0.23 ...

I do indeed have a test video... I cannot promise that it is correct but it
does go through and say "left channel", "right channel"....  Of course mine
come out on all the wrong speakers.

If you know of a test video that you trust, please link to it and I can use
it for any testing you require.

> Thanks
> Jean-Yves

No, thank you!