[mythtv-users] Harmony 890 Wireless Extender

Eric Yanush yanush2e at uregina.ca
Wed Mar 31 03:06:07 UTC 2010

On 30/03/2010 7:46 PM, Eric Yanush wrote:
>>> Perhaps if you can tell us a little more about what you are trying to
>>> do we can help.
>>>
>> I am following the ideas outlined here:
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Wireless_Extender
>>    and here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup
>>
>> I am basically connecting the ir blaster to a serial port, via a db9
>> to 3.5mm stereo which connects the extender to the mythbox.
>>
>> It seems to be that it is not receiving consistent signals from the
>> extender, and I not sure if it was a driver bug or a connection
>> problem or something else.
>>
>I see. I have not tried this. I assume you used the suggest lircd.conf
>file? Aside from generating a good pattern I assume you verified the
>signal quality on the wire. You can also go below irw using mode2 to see
>what is coming in raw to lircd.

Thanks for the fast reply!

I am using the suggested lircd.conf file, and I am actually using ubuntu karmic, but that matters not.
>However, and I know this isn't what you are asking, but rather than
>going this route I would consider simply getting a Veris Basic receiver.
>They are about US$30 and aside from receiving the IR codes they have the
>added benefit of being able to power up the system when it is off. Very
>nice when you put the case in the closet as one of mine is. You then
>tell the Harmony to emulate say the iMon RM200 (or any other iMon you wish).

>Since you are on Knoppmyth/LinHes, the how-to is at:
>http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20754
>If you are still on R5.5 then there is a link to that how-to from the
>above how-to.
As far as the antec basic, I already have an antec elite, which is the antec basic with an integrated VFD, and I am finding the ir reciever does not receive the signal from a good off angle. So one of the reasons I bought the 890 was because it does RF(non-line of sight) and I could Directly connect the Rf receiver to my mythbox and bypass the antec ir receiver, eliminating the limit on the number of codes I can use, as my antec does onboard ir decoding, so as far as I understand it is limited to the codes that the original remote has.

The only thought that occurred to me today is that after you mentioned the bit about extending the IR blasters, and the Extender not having enough juice to allow the extension, I realized that right now I have about 26ft of wire between the Extender and my serial port, so maybe that is the issue. As when I am trying to generate an lircd.conf using irrecord it seems as though it is not recieving a consistent signal.

Eric