[mythtv-users] Asus EB1501 as frontend

Steve Greene sgreene59 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 31 02:19:23 UTC 2010

Took me awhile to get everything hooked up to my satisfaction, but this
box is a peach.  Small, quiet, runs relatively cool, handles all the
HDTV I throw at it.  Serves as a frontend connected to my Sony 40"
KDL-40VL160, fed by ethernet.  Audio via HDMI and the mini-SPDIF output
jack work flawlessly.  One minor hitch, Mythmusic doesn't play through
HDMI, but works fine through SPDIF.  It's reading my flac file archive
via NFS from the backend.

Haven't yet tried to configure power management and haven't tried to get
the included remote working, but a how-to on xbmc.org points the way.
1080i works well with the VDPAU Normal settings.  I noticed Dolby D
being picked up by my HT receiver, so pass-through is working.  Haven't
played with the built-in DVD, but I've seen mention of a blu-ray version
on the Inter-webs.

Just for giggles, I'll probably install boxee next.