[mythtv-users] Video Sources, scheduling and recordings history

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 29 18:59:03 UTC 2010

On 03/29/2010 11:20 AM, Andre wrote:
> I'm considering deleting all my video sources and re-creating from scratch, thanks (I suspect) to a bunch of channel moves (and my attempts to manage them without too much hassle) I'm seeing some odd scheduler choices.
>
> So a few questions that I can't find answered anywhere: (running 0.22-fixes on Ubuntu 9.10 in the UK, DVBT,S&S2)
>
> Is there a priority with video sources, like there is with capture cards? If so this _might_ explain my odd (to me) scheduling choices. Every two or three days a programme is scheduled on a DVBS or S2 card when there is a DVBT card clearly available, in some cases this causes a reschedule (or conflict) of a programme that can only be received by the DVBS or S2 card!

No.  Priorities can only be applied to recording rules (recording rule
priorities are good--these are the ones you should use), to channels
(channel priorities should almost never be used), and card inputs (card
input priorities are evil).

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/375872#375872
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/391412#391412
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/419189#419189

That said, since video sources map to card inputs, you may well have
broken card input priorities which cause the scheduling weirdness you've
seen.

> If I delete all my video sources and re-create them (probably in a different order) will I lose correlation of channel information in my recordings and recording rules? I lost this once around the .20 .21 transition and I don't want to do it again, I'm hoping that like with capture cards I can remove and re-create sources without major problems.

If your channel ID's change, any "this channel" recording rules you have
will be broken.  You'll need to change them to "any channel" rules
(which are what 99% of all rules should be, anyway), then (if you still
feel you need "this channel rules) find a matching showing on the proper
channel and change it to a "this channel" rule.

> I'm trying to decide the best prioritisation of channels that appears in DVBT using EIT, DVBS using EIT and DVBS2 using xmltv. My DVBS2 only channels only have xmltv listings but other channels have better EIT than XMLTV or no XMLTV at all. Capture wise I prioritise DVBT first, then DVBS, then DVBS2 to ensure best usage of capture cards.
>
> Most important question is can I kill and recreate my sources without messing up correlation of channels in recording rules, in existing recordings and in recording history?

"Any channel" rules will be unaffected.  Only "this channel" rules
(which are generally a bad idea) will be affected.

Mike